So I’ve really been slacking on the blog but I really hadn’t made any new recipes – the last few days have been much of the same. But tonight I did try another recipe from The Autoimmune Paleo Cookbook by Mickey Trescott. The recipe I made was a chicken stir fry and I must say it was the bomb. Actually it was a 2 part recipe but was really easy and let’s just say I got my fix of chinese with this stir fry.
I thawed 3 organic chicken breast and planned to cook them tonight to use for several different meals throughout the week. It’s a pretty basic recipe for shredded chicken breast.
Shredded Chicken Breast
Ingredients: 2 lbs pastured chicken breast (skin on) ( I didn’t have this type on hand so I used skinless), 1/4 salt, 2 Tbsp solid cooking fat, 1 cup bone broth (I didn’t have time to make bone broth so I used organic chicken broth).
1. Rinse the chicken breasts with cold water and pat dry. Bring to room temperature and sprinkle them with salt.
2. Heat the cooking fat in a skillet over medium heat.
3. When the fat is melted and the pan is hot, place the chicken top-side down and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until browned. Flip the chicken, add the broth, cover, and lower the heat to a simmer. Cook for about 20 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
4. Let cool and shred the meat.
Chicken Stir Fry
Ingredients: 2 Tbsp solid cooking fat, 1 yellow onion (chopped), 6 cloves garlic (minced), 1 1/2 inch piece ginger (peeled and minced), 3 large carrots (thinly sliced on the diagonal), 1 lbs broccoli (chopped), 1/2 tsp sea salt, 1/2 cup coconut aminos, 2 cups mushrooms (chopped), 2 cups shredded chicken breast meat, 1/2 lemon (juiced, about 1 tbsp)
1. Heat the cooking fat in a wok or a large skillet on medium heat.
2. When the fat has melted and the pan is hot, add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring. Add the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring for another minute. Add the carrots, broccoli, salt and coconut aminos and cover. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes. The vegetables should be firm yet cooked.
3. Add the chicken and stir to heat throughout. squeeze with the lemon juice and serve warm.